If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Belonging Preceeds Believing

Before Jesus indoctrinated... He invited. Before He gave his disciples the sermon on the mount, He went to a party with them. Before He sent them out to heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead, He paired them up. Jesus made sure that no one in His new Kingdom would be alone.

This morning I was teaching a class at church, and 2 sets of parents talked about their 20 something children walking away from the faith. I resonated with them, because when I was 20 something, I walked away too. The general idea for the class was Solomon's hopelessness in Ecclesiastes 1 and Christ's gift of hope from Matthew 20.

The parents cried as they read Ecclesiastes, because they said that it sounded just like what their kids would say. I encouraged them to take heart that the scripture was validating their experience, and encouraged them to keep reading the story, because even Solomon finds a better answer under the sun.

But we ended early and I had a chance to talk pretty pointedly with these parents and one of the elders in our church who happened to hang around. This is really exciting for me, because I truly believe that the emerging church/postmodern mindset isn't just a fabrication, but it's a reality that will inreasingly be borne out in the generations to come. Today I had the chance to represent these postmoderm minded kids to their thoroughly modern parents, and I may not have ever felt as blessed to be used by God.

I wrote on the white board the phrase, "Belonging preceeds Believing." I asked them to take the phrase apart and see what they thought. Each of the people in the class was a mature believer who had been in the church for their whole lives. The elder has raised 3 of the most amazing children I've ever known, and is one of the most humble, godly people I know.

My skin tingled as I watched lightbulbs come on in these people. This was their kids, this was where they were. It didn't take long to piece together the puzzle of pretty sharp, observant kids standing back and watching their friends become overchurched. As kids who were thinkers, they realized that the message they were hearing wasn't being fleshed out. They felt, and feel, that the problem was with the message... so they got rid of it in search of something better. Rather than dismissing the belonging, they dismissed the belief.

It was amazing to watch these grown men and women wrestle with this. "But where does knowledge fit into this whole equation? It's the Truth that sets us free?" and on and on it went in defense of attacking unbelief with information. They weren't antagonistic at all, not in the least, they just hadn't ever thought about it from this angle. At the end of the discussion, one of the parents named Mark came up to me and said, "you know, I believe what you said about belonging preceeding believing. It just wasn't that way when I was growing up."

I think Mark walked out of the class understanding something about his kid that he didn't understand before. He and I spent a little bit of time talking about what that might mean in his relationship with his kid and how it might all play out. I didn't give him any answers where none were due, but I told him that it worked out in my case.

Today my philosophy took form and became real to someone else. Just by my nature, my tendency will always be to remain in the philosophical and theoretical. I will coast by on autopilot while I think about how to do what I'm doing. But today the stuff that I put into my head and mull over hopefully built a bridge for someone else to cross over to their kid. What a cool thing to see. What a cool thing to be a part of.

5 comments:

Singleton said...

Wow. I get excited knowing that this translation is taking place. We need understanding and patience, and we need to stick with this "twenty-somethings" as "they" (read "we") journey out and have to work out the age old tensions between faith, culture, science, and society. How our faith takes shape will look different.

Funny- over the past four years, Ecclesiastes has become the book that I constantly return to. I think it articulates a lot of the frustration that our church kids who go out into the deep waters of the world (college, life outside of youth group) are experiencing.

Why is it that there are some sections of scripture we tend to avoid because they make us uncomfortable... truth be told, I think those are the ones we should spend the most time on.

J- I think you're in a really unique position to be a sort of "culture translator" and communicate these things of importance that need some serious translating to be understood. In fact, in the shower this morning before I read this, I was thinking of you (this sounds really disturbing, but just trust me on this one). I was trying to think of someone who would do a good job of communicating what it is that I'm wanting to do with church and all of that to the places and churches that I come from. Soemtimes I have a hard time because I am no longer around the culture of "modern church" much anymore. I immediately thought of you.

This comment has far, far overstepped its boundaries and become something it was never intended to be... long.

Jason Powers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason Powers said...

Dude... you don't know how much it means to hear that. That was part of my excitement this weekend, just realizing that... whether or not these people believed what I said or accepted the reality of a mind-shift, they couldn't deny that the scenario I was talking about seemed to fit. How exhilirating!! Thanks for your encouragement man.

And I ain't skeered of long posts. Keep it coming.

Jason Powers said...

Also... I liked what you said about returning to the parts that make us uncomfortable. These adults squirmed a bit. I think it comes back to how you see the Bible. If you see the Bible as the answer book, or the roadmap to life, then it's disconcerting to see uncertainty and question. But if the scripture is a friend and a narrative of people on the road, then it's comforting to see people ask questions. In the class I made the comment, "it's great when I can find my experiences in scripture. Even if they're experiences of feeling lost and confused." That makes the Bible more real, more credible to me. If it's a collection of advice by people who never struggled... I don't have any connection with those folks. We don't understand each other...

Singleton said...

Beautiful. Yah... the first tbooks that come to mind are Job, Eccliesiasted, and all of those books with the prophets coming down on the people for being so jacked-up during exile or rebuilding or whatnot. And what about the Beatitudes? We sort of rush right by all of that stuff and head straight for Paul's letter to the Corinthians...

When I have heard teaching on Job, I feel like it has usually been about "passing a test" and "being rewarded." When I read the book, that's not what I'm seeing.

Keep coming with these posts, I'm loving it.

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.