If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Stream of unconsciousness

It's been too long since I've posted...

It's an amazing day in San Antonio. After yesterday's 96 degrees and 96% humidity, today's 85 with 14% humidity is just perfect.

The college gathering rolls on... we're actually taking a few weeks off in hope that Natalie will throw the pup (I don't think that's the official medical word for it, but it gets the point across. I love you baby). We'll reconvene again on June 7. We're going to have it at a place called "The Daily Grind" coffee bar. It's a good place to meet, it's got a mellow feel and there are beverages and goodies to munch on, good overstuffed couches, tables, and space to spread out and talk if needs be. I'm excited, mostly because it's an ambience that we don't have to put a lot of time and energy into right now. Also having it away from the church will hopefully give us some opportunities to hang out with some folks who are outside of the church.

It looks like we're going to call ourselves "Underground." The idea is that I don't want to be known for our media campaigns and advertising schemes. I don't want to be the next hot thing that all the Church kids in San Antonio come to be a part of. I want to be a place that comes together to learn and challenge each other to be different and make a difference.

On another note... I'm having a freaking baby. Well, not so much me as Natalie, but the end result will be that in very few days a little baby man is coming to live at my house for 18+ years. Boy, talk about drama. Raising a man who loves God and serves humanity is a tall order for a guy who mostly remembers to put on clean shorts and comb his hair and usually doesn't remember to shave. It's all a part of the divine sense of humor.

Started reading The DaVinci Code. Holy Crap. I can't put it down. Seriously, Dan Brown is the man. I think everyone should read it. Christians especially. Put down Joel Osteen, pick up the DaVinci Code, and together take a big, long, well deserves sigh. There. That's all better isn't it? It probably won't go down as one of the classic's. I mean it's not Pride & Prejudice, but it certainly moves quick and keeps you coming back for more.

As I wind down, I'm nodding acknowledgement to the yin-yang in my life. There are seasons of great mental activity where I can think and reason and be sharp. Then there are seasons like this, where it's all quiet in my head... and that's a good thing.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. Lamentations 3:22-26

2 comments:

Singleton said...

Papa Powers-
I cannot wait for another Powers to be in the world. I think that that is a good and beautiful thing. I'm praying for you and Natalie and for a fast, as-painless-as-possible process to the whole thing.

I can't wait to have a new human being on earth whom I care about deeply... little Powers, COME FORTH!

Singleton said...

also- the group sounds great. I'm excited to hear more. The coffee bar ambiance is wonderful, hope the brew is good and the aromas are strong. Enjoy it all, even the wail of the cappuchino machine and the clinking of cups.

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.