If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Otitis externa...

Or, more commonly, outer ear infection.


See, I have this thing. I think Q-tipping is just about the best thing in the universe. Just after a steaming hot shower, get out and swab the ear canal... glorious.


Turns out that it's bad for you (how could something SO right, turn out to be SO wrong?). All that ear wax serves a purpose... it keeps the water from gathering and infecting. So, two months ago I could feel it coming on for about a week. Each day, quietly, steadily, little by little the hot fire poker of aural death made its way to what must be an extremely important place, to be so sensitive.

Antibiotic drops and a benzocane drop should do the trick.


The problem... I only did the antibiotic for 2 days instead of 5.



Fastforward to last Friday, the familar warm heating pressure shows up. Quietly at first, only letting me know it was around. In response I picked up the neglected antibiotic and started my regimen again. I was too late. This morning it was as if steaming Kamikaze pilots of doom flew one by one into my tender little ear canals and exploded microbombs of ear death in the side of my face.


The doctor was little help. "You have an ear infection. Usually babies get those."


"What are you saying doc? Are you calling me a baby? I'll take you down right here and now if I have to."


But alas, it seems that there's no insta-cure for the ear infection. So what did I learn?


  1. That which feels the best is not always the best. The implications and applications are endlessly endless.

  2. Medicine knows what it's talking about. When it says 5 days, use it for 5 days.

  3. Ear infections suck. That's all I have to say about that.

So I'm going to tough it out and pray that the antibiotics work fast. I'm hoping and praying that I'll handle this with grace and dignity. Most of all, I'm hoping this never happens again.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I have overactive wax factories in my ears. Its gross, like really gross. A few times a year Ian's dad flushes my ears out to pull the giant plugs-o-wax out of them - anyhoo, my point is that the doctor told me not to use Q-tips because I just jam that ear jelly too deep into the recesses of my mind, where it can only be retrieved with extreme torture devices.

I hope you feel better soon - it totally sucks when your ears hurt like that. I knows how it feels :(

Jason Powers said...

Thanks for the sympathy. Ear pain sucks! It's getting better. One day at a time!

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.