If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to camp I go...


Monday morning I leave for camp. This is a new experience for me. This year I'm speaking and I've never done that at a camp before. I'm excited because I really don't have to focus on anything except connecting with the kids and sharing what I think God wants me to share. I'm looking forward to it as a real recharge time. I don't have a lot (any) real requirements of me other than to speak and lead or help with a breakout time. What I require of myself is to figure out where these kids are at, and hopefully help build a bridge from where they are to where God is.

The theme is "Outside the Box: God is everywhere" and the camp verse is Romans 1:20. The more I go, and especially lately, this is what it all comes down to. When I feel far from God or just disconnected, it's because there are spaces in my life that I haven't let Him into. At some point there was a moment that I didn't invite Him to come change, and I missed Him.

I have spiritual ADD.

The thing is, what an amazing trait of God... that He would let Himself be missed. God is more humble than I am. There's something to ponder. So I feel like I'm going to camp this year on top of my game. When I was a youth worker, the weeks leading up to camp were so hectic, that I was frazzled when I got there. This year, I feel like God's been revealing Himself, I'm starting to see Him in places and ways I never have before. Despite having a new little boy, I feel rested and refreshed. I honestly think it's a credit to the whole Isaiah 40:30-31 thing.

So when you read this, when you think of me this week, pray that God will use me. Pray that I don't get in the way of myself, and pray that in some way, something that comes out of my mouth connects with these kids.

Thanks God for this opportunity.

2 comments:

Singleton said...

J-Pow
Sounds awesome. I love what you said about God allowing himself to be missed. One of the most recent great shifts in the living of my life as a Christ follower has been truly realizing that God's presence is not void in some places. That God is all about the incarnational, and that his presence is in the very atmosophere around us, humbly waiting to be recognized. I'm not completely sure how to do this, but I want to become someone who points out God in things... to tell people, "see! there he is! he's been here all along... and here too!"

Have a great camp. I'm going to be in San Antonio a week from today and want to try to meet up sometime and see the new Powers. much love.

Jason Powers said...

Any time you come around... let me know. We'll be at camp from the 26th through the 30th. Let's hook up. Thanks for the kind words and good thoughts. May you find your hearts desire, and may your eyes be enlightened to find Him in everything around you. Feel the love.

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.