If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Here's to you Jimi Hendrix

I've really wanted to start writing lately. I think I'd like to write the story of my time on the road (I couldn't call it On The Road though, that name's already been taken). You learn so much during times like that, when your whole life centers around something like a band and being at a place... it's very experience-centered, which is cool. I think experience is highly underrated, and should be sought out far more than it currently is.

I think what makes that time in my life so cool is that it was probably the very first time that I stopped just thinking about experiencing things and started to take steps to do it. There's a difference between "knowing about" experiences and "being experienced."
Jimi Hendrix had an album... Are You Experienced? The idea is that we've all got some knowledge of things that happen in other places or at other times, but we're not all experienced.

I'm an all or nothing type of guy. Literally years before I went and saw Phish for the first time, I thought, read, talked about them, I collected their music and on and on and on... I could have told you 1000 things that you didn't know that would have made you think I was a raving maniac... but I wasn't experienced.

Then I went to Austin in 1999, and Houston, and Big Cypress, Alpine Valley and on and on and on... I was experienced. All the knowing and the knowledge in the world couldn't have given me what I only got from being there first hand.

So maybe I'll call my book What Jimi Hendrix Taught Me About Life except that it will have very little to do with Jimi Hendrix... actually nothing at all.

Note to self... work on the title.

2 comments:

Jason Powers said...

Dude... you've made me a happy man. Let the games begin.

Singleton said...

can a pre-order a copy?

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.