If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Bullet Points & Changing Seasons: or two for the price of 1/3.



It was cool outside today...relatively, of course. The soft breeze whispered through the tasseled oaks keeping the shade-worthy day from becoming a here's-a-cloth-to-dab-your-forehead kind of day. I like those days. Let fall arrive. I feel like I come alive in autumn. It's got me thinking...


  • I'm totally energized by the RNC. Sarah Palin gave what may be THE political speech of a generation. There are good ideas and hope flying around the twin cities for the first time in a long time. I didn't start out as a McCain guy, and I still don't think he's as conservative as I like... but I trust him, and I believe he wants what's best for the country.


  • Every time election season comes around, I dream about being a speech writer. My good friend Daniel Espinoza said the same thing while we were watching Palin deliver the goods. A dear lady in our church told me the other day, "you know, Tony Snow was only 31 when started working for Bush 41." I asked her if she knew anyone in the upcoming administration that I could get in touch with. She didn't. It's all good. I've got a pretty good gig.


  • We're less than a month away from Baby #2. The votes were in, and it looks like we're going to name her Reagan Elizabeth Powers. Thank you for your votes. I'm sure she'll appreciate all your input in the years to come.


  • I'm listening to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" on iTunes. I love Bob Dylan. If we had a boy, I was pushing to name him Dylan.


  • Natalie didn't want to name our boy Dylan.


  • I'm slowly starting to recognize the gentle rhythms of life. This week has been through the roof nuts, but the weeks before were slow, even boring (aside from the recurring bout of bubonic plague we had to deal with). I felt guilty during those times, rather than capturing them and using them to refresh, recharge, and be ready for this season of activity. As my life grows and fills out, those are the things that I'm increasingly drawn to think about.


  • Life happens. I believe the Cosmos were created with order, reflecting the One who breathed them into being. The more I step back, the more I'll recognize the rhythms and accept them, whatever they may be.


  • I read about St. Francis, walking through the woods, breaking into song at the life and wonder that was crushing in on him, threatening to swallow him whole. I'd like to be in the moment enough to be dazzled at the wonder of the Kingdom at Hand.

It's amazing what a change in scenery can accomplish. If only the Astro's would make the playoffs... then life would be great.

5 comments:

Kara said...

Dude, I freaking LOVE Bob Dylan. My top 5 Dylan Songs:

1) Hurricane (seriously, like the best song ever)
2) Like a Rolling Stone
3) Tangled Up in Blue
4) The Times They Are a-Changin'
5) All Along the Watchtower. Or maybe Corrina, Corrina. Or perhaps Blowin' in the Wind.

I love top 5 lists, but I can hardly ever stop at five :)I'm about to read another book about him. Such an interesting dude.

Bill said...

Bullets scare me. Guns don't kill people, bullets do. Unless you, like, beat someone with it. But then that kinda defeats the whole idea.

Glad to see you blogging again. I really enjoy reading your takes. As my old buddy Ortman used to say: "Dude it's like being one with the plurality of the Trifecta of quadralism."

He was right, in his simple little way.

Bp
(Still want comments??)

Jason Powers said...

Kara - my Top 5:
1)Tangled Up In Blue
2)Stuck Inside of Mobile w/ These Memphis Blues Again
3)Visions of Johanna
4)All Along The Watchtower (I like Dave Matthew's version)
5)Hard Rain's Gonna Fall
I like Dylan's songs, but I like them when other people sing them... sometimes.

Bill/Dad - I'm sorry, I didn't get what you said, I was counting the quarks in the cosmos. They were, like, headdy and stuff. Glad to know you're reading again. I need a link to your blog.

Steven said...

I know it's weird, but I feel energized during winter. It is the only season that allows me to go outside of my air conditioned house. God understands, he made me hot-natured.

Chris Coggins said...

Thanks for sharing... you are such a dreamer... the Astros in the play-offs. If it were not for my kids sleeping in bed I would laugh out loud.

The Cubs are going all the way baby!!!

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.