If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Bullets don't kill people, puma's kill people. Always watch out for pumas.

There is a point of no-return for my blogging. I go so long without saying anything, that I get locked up trying to say everything that I haven't said since the last post. I'm such a brain-twisted animal, but I know who I am and I sleep good at night, so that's alright.



So here's the readers digest version, bullet pointed for easy reading (I'm in this for you!), of where I've been. Comment as you like, tell me what you think, help me stay on task. When you respond, it keeps me thinking. This is a symbiotic relationship here. You..... complete....... me. I know you're touched.



  • I've been sick for over a week now. Nothing makes you appreciate health like sickness. Today I feel much better, and I think I'm going to stop by Whole Foods or Sun Harvest and check into the all natural supplementation. I've realized a few things... 1) I eat like crap all the time. 2) I NEVER take any sort of vitamin ever, under any circumstances. 3) I don't exercise. Well, I exercise slightly more often than I take vitamins. But only slightly. and 4) I don't go to bed early enough. All of that is a concoction for unhealth. Throw into the mix that I am now 6 months into my three oh's and I'm starting to think that it really may be time to start taking care of this old tent.

  • Natalie and I are going to Portland on Friday. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest, but I've always wanted to. I've got this sneaking suspicion that somewhere up there may just be where my hearts home is. Natalie's worried that I won't come back. I assure here that I'm 74% positive that I'm going to come back to Texas atleast long enough to get all my things. It's funny that I have such a love for a place I've never been before. It's the remnant of the hippie ethic still living and breathing in my soul. Someone I know who used to be in Portland once said, "you can only look at pretty trees for so long." I'm not so sure.

  • Life is good. I've been pretty aware lately of all the really cool things that are in my life. I think I have a tendency to be somewhat pessimistic. Maybe cynical is a better word. I have to admit lately though, I just have this sense that whatever comes, whatever happens, however it all shakes out, I've got it pretty good and I'm really thankful to God for what He's done and given me. I need to live in light of that and make it more of a habit to remember more often. Remembering is a discipline, but it's important. Vital even, to being the right kind of person.

  • Friendships make the world go 'round. Not literally. That's centrifugal force (centripedal? any Physicists out there?). But along with the life is good thing, I realize that I've been given a great hands when it comes to the friends in my life. I don't get to see all of them as often as I should, but I appreciate that there's never a begrudging guilt trip or manipulation game when our paths finally do cross. We just pick up where we left off. My friends challenge me to dream big dreams, have big thoughts, and just generally want to be a big person... but the good kind of big. Not the fat kind of big that I'm increasingly finding a propensity toward. It wasn't always like this. Again, I attribute it to the three oh's.

  • Here's an Interesting Christmas Idea. Go here and see what you think. I learned about it from reading this blog from a guy whose a pastor at the church who started this last year. What do you think? What would the implications be if ten's of thousands of Christians across America undertook a project like this (at the site, click on the "read more" link at the bottom, and that will open up a window which will then have a link to a .pdf file that gives more details and vision)? What would the implications be for YOU if you undertook something like this? Who would understand? Who wouldn't? How would they respond? How does that make you feel?

Overall, things are good. Thanks for being a part of what's going on in my life, even if we've never met and you just stumbled upon this blog for the first time today. I hope you've enjoyed your stay, and I hope you come back again. Find a way to get involved. Make a difference. Be engaged.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Jason,
If you move to Portland I'm taking Natalie and Jackson to Houston and they can live with me, just be prepared for that. He he he :) Love you guys

Jason Powers said...

No way. I'll fight you for them!

Natalie Powers said...

don't worry michelle. we are not going anywhere. ....except to have a vacation there.

Jason Powers said...

Like I said, 74%. You can bank on that.

Michelle said...

yeah well there is a 26% chance that you won't stay, and I'm banking on that. God does answer my prayers.
Bring it on, bring it on!!!

Anonymous said...

just know you'd better have a guest room :)

Anonymous said...

I like the site regarding Christmas giving. Last Christmas, Ian and I did something that is related to that idea. It felt great, honest, and was without burden or obligation. I would not say that we got a positive vibe from everyone, but it wan't negative either. We told our family in advance that we would not be giving gifts at Christmas, and that we did not need any ourselves.

Although we did not get the best reaction, we think we will continue to do this each year. Here is what our letter said to our family:

'Our tradition of gift giving at Christmas is derived from the magi, who presented gifts to Jesus the night he was born. Since that glorious night, Christmas gift giving has evolved for many people – rather than a spiritual act of the celebration of Christ’s birth, it has become a capitalistic tradition that retail stores and credit card companies look forward to every year.

For many Christians and non-Christians, Christmas has become a time to spend money that they do not have on gifts that most people do not need. This year, we have decided to do things a little different…

We have taken the money we have normally spent on Christmas gifts for our family and friends, and made a donation to the World Vision Fund for Sudan. World Vision is a Christian emergency relief organization that provides food, shelter, clean water, and Bible-based education to impoverished regions of the world.

Thank you for any gifts that you have given to us or others this Christmas. We pray that these gifts are given and received in remembrance of the birth of Jesus Christ.

Have a wonderful Christmas 2006'

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.