If I could save time in a bottle... that would be one heavy bottle.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

In... or Out?

It's been awhile. It's good to be back.

Things are great. Jackson is sleeping much more recently, which means that mom and dad are too. I still feel like crap, but I think it's clearing up so hopefully we're on the mend.

College group is going really well. We're starting to move past the "I dont' want to say anything in front of these people" phase and into the "I hear what you're saying, but..." phase which really excites me. We're slowly dancing through the Sermon on the Mount, and we've had some great discussions. This week we talked about Jesus saying that unless we have a better righteousness we can't be in the Kingdom. What we came to was that Jesus is the better righteousness... we need HIM!! (Yay Jesus).

What I love is that alot of these students don't just hear the words, they go home and wrestle with what it means. One of the things I tried to point out was that if all of our righteousness is insufficient apart from Jesus, we must be very careful about judging anyone elses righteousness. Instead, we should make our aim to spread love recklessly and fervently as long as we both shall live.

This amazing young lady (Jackie... Hi Jackie) who I'm sad to think about leaving really started to wrestle with the implications of this. What about truth? What about people who believe differently than I do? Whose right? Does it make a difference?

When I read her blog I was encouraged to see how this amazing young woman wrestles with truth, because it matters to her. It's also encouraging to know that she not only wants to know the truth, but she's got her eye on the mission. She brought a guy who she's been friend with for a long time. He's grown up outside the Church and has some real, honest questions. He came and I think he enjoyed it. We certainly enjoyed having him. He's a super sharp guy with a razor wit, a great sense of humor, and a comfortable presence. I hope he comes back.

Alright, so that's all I've got. I think I got out of the practice of this... either that or the heat coupled with a head full of sputum has made my thought process less than linear. Whatever the case... here's to life!

2 comments:

Singleton said...

Keep on truckin', Powers. Great to hear you what you guys are doing and see people pushing and pursuing hard to get close to God and to figure out our mission.

Natalie Powers said...

Jason, I just want you to know that I love you more than anything. Your spiritual leadership in my life is more than I could ask for! You are such an amazing man of God and I love you. I really mean that. God has truly gifted and brought you to this place in time. Remember that I always love you!

About Me

My photo
As the self-proclaimed and happy-to-meet-you Small Group zealot at River City Community Church, my hope is that this page will make you laugh, learn, grow, smile, and most of all cherish the role you’ve been given to play in the Family. I believe Small Group leadership is the most strategic role in the local Church.